Thursday, June 2, 2011

Creative Experiments #2

Hey all! I'm back again today with yet another post on art journaling. One of the things that I said I'd like to accomplish this month was to continue on the projects I had started last month. Today I'm going to go back to the creative experiments posts. I've been working with white acrylic paint, and so far I've only used it once, in order to lighten a page that was too dark using blending. That worked very well, but here's yet another page that uses another sort of "technique." Basically I just took a book that I've been working on altered book that is actually done using a technique called reverse collage. You paint around the photographs leaving some of them intact.

Normally you use black paint to do this, but in this one I used white. It took several coats to actually get it a good opaque color, but you can actually still see through it.

Here's what it looked like after I put the white paint on it. I basically just used it as a base layer so I could do all of my other layers on top of it. Now some of you might have been wondering why I didn't just use my base color as the layering portion instead of the white, since I normally use acrylics in my work as opposed to other mediums. Well, there are actually several answers to that question, the one of lesser importance being that I was trying to come up with ideas for using white acrylic paint. Of course that's a lame excuse. However, there is a better reason.

That being that I was wanting to use my water soluble pastels, and I've never heard of them working that well on black paper. Though now that I think about it, that may just be something to experiment with. :) So anyways, in the picture above you can see pretty well how I layered the white paint over the pages of the book, leaving the one really cute picture of the cat in the garden intact. And you can probably also see the beginnings of my pastel background; I got a little overzealous and started before I took a picture. Hehe.

And here, is the page when it's finished. I think I used this photo yesterday, but I gave you a sort of warning. Anyways, yeah this is it. I like it a lot, even though it's a little darker than I normally like. I did a lot of layering, including stamping with bubble wrap and a black wash. There's other layers in there, but those are the two that came to mind. And the pastels of course. :)

Actually, speaking of layers, I tend to use a lot of layers in my work. Currently I am working on a page that has TONS of layers in it, including experimenting with using mod podge as a texture item. I don't know if it's going to work yet, and if it does, I don't know if it'll show, since it is clear; but I figured I'd give it a shot. That's the plan anyways. So I hope you enjoyed today's post; I dunno if I'll be able to make it on tomorrow, but be sure to check incase I do!! See you guys later!


  1. This looks awesome, Jordan! You did a great job! I haven't tried this technique yet, but I'd like to. :-)

  2. Thank you so much Di!! I'm glad I inspired somebody. It really is a fun technique to play around with, and it makes such a good background for any style of art!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...