Sunday, January 15, 2012

Collage Unleashed - Color Scraping


So today I started my run through of Traci Bautista's "Collage Unleashed" book where I left off. Color scraped pages. I love the way her pages look, but I took a break from all of my series I had going. But, I'm trying to start some of them back up. This is one of them. Something that Traci does with her pages is use a lot of color through color scraping papers that she then uses to create unique, one of kind journals. I thought that it might be fun to work on some of these pages. I've tried them before in the past, but they have never really turned out right. Anything I do that's inspired by her either ends up too light or too dark. But this time, for some strange reason, these turned out great! I love them so much, and I'm glad. I guess, like they say, practice makes perfect. Though these certainly aren't perfect, I'm really happy with them never the less. I used a lot of acrylic paints, stencils and stamps on these pages, as well as scraped some stuff around on the page.


Here are the two pages that I did that I really liked. On the right, the base of the page was a little bit dark for my liking, so I ended up just lightening it up with the paints I used on top of it for the stamping and the stenciling. Using light colors on a dark background makes it look better, especially if you don't enjoy the way the background is looking. On the other side, I really liked the color scraping below the stamping, so I had to be very careful that I didn't ruin it with the excess layers and stuff. I used a foam flower stamp with a brown paint and a piece of bubble wrap with some white paint.


The rest of the pages that I have made are just basically made from the leftovers from the other pages. Take these two for example. I laid these pieces of paper behind the originals to catch the paint that I was scraping off the edges. That way I didn't get paint all over my desk. That was just the solid color that you see in the background. The redish/pinkish color that you see over top of that is a wash that I did when I had some red paint leftover on my brush from doing some of the original painting. I dipped my brush into my water and just spread it all over the top of my papers.


And here are another two. These were done pretty much the same way as the ones above, but they don't have full washes on them. The one on the left actually doesn't have one at all, and the one on the right is only partial. I'll probably work on these gradually as I do other art journal related activities. Because that's the way I roll. ANYWAYS, that's all that I have for you guys today, but I have something really cool planned for tomorrow. I hope you come and check it out!

4 comments:

  1. I can see why you love these! Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan, whenever i see your artwork, i can tell you're having so much fun! It's really palpable.
    Those are great white flowers on the first pages... have a great week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pauline! I love the flowers on that page as well; it's a pretty neat stencil I bought at Michaels, if you were wondering. :) You have a great week yourself!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...