Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Art Journal Experiment and an Altered Magazine Page


Hey guys!! I'm back here with all of you once again! I'm glad that I'm actually managing to get on here with school and all. Since that has started, be expecting daily posts (hopefully), unless I decide to bail on that idea. Just be expecting them later on in the day, okay? :) Okay. So you you guys remember that page that I showed you guys yesterday? The yellow one that I couldn't decide how to continue the layers? Well, I found out a good way to figure it out! I have a color copier that is currently sitting in the garage. It's a huge thing, and really clunky. But it's beautiful. In it's own special way. :P I like to use it for art journaling, and this is how I did it. I ended up making color copies of the page I was a bit unsure about and then I just did the choices on different copies. The first time I masked off pinstripes and then painted them black. Something that must be noted is that the color copies came out a LOT more green than the actual piece. In the real piece it's more of a deep yellow than a lime green. But I went with it anyways. It was more the technique that I was going for.

The second thing that I did was stamping with bubble wrap. This is actually one of my favorite things to do on my art journal page, and when I looked at it, I could just see it. But I was still having trouble deciding between the two. Thus the experiment on the copies. :) I really liked the way the bubble wrap looked. The way I got the effect I did was I took a piece of bubble wrap and kind of tore it into a weird shape. That way it didn't look too staged. Anyways, I applied a TON of black poster paint to it (I use poster paint a lot in my work) and stamped one clear(er) image in the upper left hand corner. Then I used the same application of paint to off stamp the rest of the page. I LOVE the effect. :) I decided that this was defiantly the one I wanted to use, and so: here's the result:


I love the way it turned out. It reminds me a lot of my style, or what I think my style should be. Messy, and worry free. Although most of the time these pages come out of my head when I'm stressed. Luckily I don't think that's the case with this one. I love the grungy effect the stamping gives the page, and I love the way it sometimes pulls up paint as well. Also, since this is the original, this is the ACTUAL color of the page. See how it's kind of a dark yellow compared to the limeish color of the copies? I don't really know what I'm going to do from this point, but I'll probably work my way through this page on this blog. Ha. I'll do a layer and then post it along with some other stuff, then another layer. That would be funny. :)


Finally, I have one last thing to share with you. This right here is something that I've been working on for my 21 Secrets class. It's an altered magazine page. You tear pages out of a magazine or catalogue and then just do a bunch of stuff with it. So far I haven't done that much to it; there's actually only two layers on there, but I think it's looking pretty cool thus far. If you look on the left side, you can see where I tore this page out of the magazine; some people may decide to trim this up, and others may not. They may just decide (like me) that they enjoy the raw edge and the playfulness and the non-perfectness that it perceives. That's all I've really got for you today, but I'll see you guys later! Bye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...