Monday, September 5, 2011

ICAD #4 and ICAD Backgrounds


Hello my friends. :) And Happy Labor Day! I'm back once again with some more of my artwork. I have some index cards to show you today; not any art journal pages though. Or altered book pages. Or single sheets. And I'll tell you why. Even though I worked on some of all of those things; those pages that I did are classified. :) Let's just say that they have something to do with my challenge with Dede. :) I've been doing so much for that one on one challenge, and it's going to be a lot of fun when it actually comes time for the reveal. I've been playing around with colors, layering, and lettering. Just to experiment. I might just have more than one layout by the time the date comes around. :D If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing, right?

Anyways, getting back to the ICAD card of the day; look above to see it. I've been working with this kind of style; the fun, technique backgrounds, with a single magazine clipped word on it as decoration. On this one I put down a strip of paper on the bottom (This was actually a color copy of a page that I'd done previously. I've been cutting them up to use as collage fodder.) and drew a dotted border with a sharpie. This was an overall easy background to make; I've gotten used to layering paints, and pulling up paint with different things, but I'm still amazed every time. :)


If you look at these index cards above, you can see some of the things that I'm talking about. You know how I sometimes talk about "lifting"? Well this is a fine example of that. I take a page that has wet paint on it and layer something on top of it; a piece of book paper, an index card, a sheet of regular paper, or even another, smaller journal. If you press fairly heavily, you can lift up some of the paint. It goes in the direction of that the brushstrokes go, so, depending upon what I want the finished card to look like, I generally brush in both directions. These are bases for ICAD, that I'll probably work on further in the future. This is just so the intimidating white background is gone, and is simply giving me a jumping off point from which to play. I love the way these three turned out, which is why I'm posting these, but I've got a bunch more sitting on my desk as well.

Something else that I'm considering doing is taking some of these before they get more added to them and simply color copying them. This is one of my new favorite ways to create collage fodder. I'd probably do some in black and white, some in color, some in representative scale and some enlarged to a full sheet or so. Now that I think about it, it might be a cool idea to start a SERIES on collecting collage fodder. What do you guys think of that? Let me know in the comments, and have a nice rest of Labor Day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...