Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"Luggage" and ICAD #6: Dragonfly


I've got some more art to share with all of you! I really love the way that this feels; blogging and creating art every day; I think that this is my tenth day in a row, and I feel right now like I'm invincible; like I could go on forever. We'll see how it goes though. Today I decided to do an art journal SPREAD in my journal, instead of a single page. I've been doing these sporadically throughout this journal. I think that I've done a total of 15 prompts in this journal, and with only two of those prompts have given me a full two page spread. I don't know what it is about a prompt, but when I see it, I generally realize what it is that I'm going to do page wise. I think it has a lot to do with how much I want to write about the subject in the base layer of journaling. I think I'll do a post on that later on.


So today's prompt was #15 on the 5,000 Question Survey. At this rate, it's going to take me a while to complete the survey, but I don't really mind. I love the continuous feel of it, and it seems to work a lot better for me personally to work through it in an art journal format than it would to simply write about it in a journal. It's more artistic this way. More creative. For me at least. The prompt today seemed a little bit silly in comparison to some of the deeper thought processes that I've had to put into the other pages. Today's question was as follows. Which is worse, loosing your luggage or having to sort through tangled Christmas lights?


For me, the answer was almost instantaneous. Loosing your luggage is way, way, WAY worse than untangling Christmas lights. I'm pretty much a pro at untangling things anyways. I actually had a story to share in the base journaling about loosing my luggage;  I actually went on a missions trip just over a month ago, and we pretty much lost our luggage. It wasn't our fault though. We had to stay the night at the airport because our flight was canceled. And they didn't tell us where they were putting our luggage. We searched that place for a while before we finally found it.


Something that I really enjoyed about this page in general was the little piece of cream polka dotted paper in the upper right hand corner. There's a story behind that too. I was just looking at my page, trying to figure out what to do. I had finished the background; hadn't added a title or journaling yet, and not a single type of paper embellishment had touched the page. I wasn't really sure what it was that I wanted to do with the page yet, and was trying hard to think through it. I stared at the page for a few minutes, then looked up, just a little bit annoyed with it. And the answer was staring me right in the face.


You see, I have a corkboard on the wall facing me when I'm creating art. I got a bunch of little, round, colorful pins to inspire me when I create. And then I just pin tons of little things to the board. I'll have to post about the corkboard sometime too. Anyways, when I looked up, that little piece of paper was the first thing that I saw. I don't even remember how long it had been up on the board. I think it was probably one of the first things that I put up. Well, I took it off, and tried it out on the page, and I loved it! I let a little hang off the edge of the page to create a tab, then added the title and the journaling. The journaling was done on my typewriter. The paper was a piece of dictionary paper that I coated with paint and let dry. It was surprisingly nice to work with.


Now that we've covered that, let's move on, shall we? Though I'm fairly certain that most of you can guess what prompt I used for this ICAD, just in case, for those of you who haven't checked out the ICAD prompts yet, the prompt was "dragonfly". Like I said, it's pretty self explanatory. However, as simple as this card it, I really enjoyed the way that it turned out. I used a few different techniques to achieve the background effect, including spray inks and lifting some of the excess paint off of the card.


My first idea for the card was simply to use the colors blue and green, which are my favorite colors to see dragonflies in. They are just extremely cool, with their metallic colors and such. But almost as soon as I started, I got stuck as to where to go next. Then I saw the border strip lying on my desk, and I tried it on there. And I loved the way it looked. From there, I simply went online and found a picture of a blue dragonfly. And collaged it on. I still got to use the colors that I originally wanted to, just in a different way than I had thought. And that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...